Friday, July 27, 2012

Bodrum Castle: a castle in Bodrum

So while we were in Bodrum, we went and visited The Castle. I didn't learn the name of it (you do self tours here) and so I just leaned over to Ayse and asked, "what's the name of the castle in Bodrum?" and she responded, "Bodrum Castle"... Good thing it wasn't too hard to spell!

Anyway, we had a blast going. Since we did our own tour, we made a great time of it! This Castle is centuries old and contains so many old old old things. It was often a place of territory declared by different countries. There is the French tower, English tower... other towers ( I can't remember them, I am so bad!) So we visited them. A lot of things displayed had an explanation next to them in English, so we were very grateful to them for this. haha

Here, come along with us on the tour of the Bodrum Castle!

The entrance. And John looking handsome as always!


The stairs up to the castle. (Left and in blue and white stripes: Ross and next to him on the right is Ayse's dear friend: Sedat)


Okay. now the Real entrance...


Oh wait, let's get distracted by the beautiful view...


Yup, I think this is a good spot to take a facebook photo.


Once in the entrance there was a huge display of Amphoras to look at. Amophoras are how they distributed and transfered by boat liquids way back when. Check out this one, it is from 14th Century B.C. HELLO! That is SO OLD!


They are still finding Amphoras today at the bottom of the Aegean Coast and in the Marmaris Sea. Here are more of them... there was sooo many! I was in love with them!


John found his buddy..


Also, He didn't realize he had forgotten his body back in the 14th century.. good thing we found it! Congrats to him! He is no longer Headless!


I may or may not have tried on his body...


I believe the English tower.


Here are some more ceramic items that had been used way back in all those centuries ago... (Don't judge, I don't know dates! I just know they are super old)


A closer look in this case. These are real oil lamps. Like the ones used in the parable of 10 Virgins. I thought it was interesting about how we are counseled to always have enough oil in our lamps. I never really thought about the size of the lamps. These are about the size of the palm of my hand. I realized how important it is to continue doing things to "keep our lamps filled with oil". I loved seeing them in real life. I felt like I connected with a peace of scripture in a more tangible way. It was awesome.


Oh yeah, this view needs a photo too.


In Bodrum, all the houses and apartments are required to be painted white. It looks amazing. I love that they do this. In a way, it reminded me of what I have seen in movies and photos of Greece. Even though we aren't making it to Greece, it was like we were there in a way.


Sedat. He is a happy man. I really really enjoyed his company.



This boat was in the most perfect position. Right in between this spy area. It framed it well.



OH! I found my body! It was a little smaller than I remember it being..



Here are the toilets of the castle. No joke, they still look like this. People still use them like this...


Oh yeah, no shame in going to the bathroom while people watch.





Watch how strong John has become!!!


TA DA!!!!!!! For real, it was heavy...





The waters are so blue and sooo beautiful.


Thanks for coming on the tour with us! We had a blast and hope you did too!

No comments:

Post a Comment