Monday, April 2, 2012

What it's like becoming legal....

As most of you know, I married a Canadian man. And in doing so, we had to worry about how we were going to get him to be legal for fear of him getting kicked out and banned from the United States of America for up to 5 years. (We both actually know 2 people that this happened to. Scary, I know). So we decided to be as careful as possible. We spoke with a Lawyer who stated that the best and most correct way to do this carefully and along government policy would be to get married and then immediately John would have had to go back to Canada to wait for his Green Card. That would have been months... HELLO! How crazy. We were NOT going to do that. So we tried the next best thing, which is stay under the radar so that John could stay here but not do anything like work or anything until he got his green card. In this process we were counseled by a Lawyer to wait 90 days after we had gotten married to apply. So we did.

We applied in October 2011. It was a tedious process in the beginning. We had to make sure we had all the correct documentation and that we filled EVERYTHING out in the proper format and manner. It is a little insane what they make you go through. Once we got everything in, we had to wait. and wait. and wait. Finally, John got approved for his "employment card"! We were ecstatic! But they did not issue him a SSN. We were a little confused, if the US wants him to work, wouldn't they want him to pay taxes?? hmmmmm... anyway... so that was an issue. Then the paper came telling us that we had an interview with the government in Boise, Idaho and we had to be there at 8:30 am on a thursday morning.

On our list of things to bring were pictures proving that we were legit and loved each other, all the serious documentation like birth certificates, marriage certificate, passports... etc. One of the things they wanted was correspondence between John and I. I thought that was interesting. So I prepared and gathered as many things as I could think of that would show that we were serious. Utility bills, rental agreement, insurance, phone bill, bank statements... everything.

 I also called a friend who had been through this same thing and spoke with her and her husband about what it would be like. They did this process in Salt Lake City, Utah and the advice that they gave us was- Do NOT joke, Tell the truth, Answer honestly, Do not laugh... etc. You bet we got a little more nervous! What if it didn't work out!?? We had heard awful things about people being denied etc. We had to start talking about a back up plan. Would we need to move to Canada? If we did what would the plan be? Where would we live? How would I get a job? All these issues began to make me very minutely vexed, but vexed none the less. The requests that the government were demanding were just obsurd to me. John isn't someone they should be worried about. He isn't just trying to get into the US. He really does love me and we can prove it just by walking in the room. BUT the government has a protocol, I know. And they do not know him and have no idea if we are faking it or what.

So Wednesday comes and we drive to Boise. It is a 4 1/2 hour drive from Rexburg, we had a lot of time to practice our stories so that they were identical so that the government couldn't trick us. How we met, where we met, how long we date, whats my tooth brush color, whats his, whats his favorite color, whats mine....

The morning came and I was so nervous, I was sweating. It was one of those cold sweats, You are hot but your finger tips are cold and your feet. It was bad. We walked into a building right about 8:30 AM and we said what we were there for and the guy was like, you are in the wrong building... we were like CRAP!!!

We took off running, I think it would have been funny to see the fear on our faces and then we took off running! haha John ran to the car and I ran towards the building. He picked me up and boom! We were there. We go in and its like going through airport security. Then we sat and waited. Again. haha

Finally we were called in by a woman who seemed nice. We got into the room and she started cracking jokes with us, laughing, giving John a hard time cause he is a man and didn't remember the exact day of my birthday. (Punk!) Then she asked how we met and basically sat there and ooohed and and ahhhhed over our story. Then I showed her our proof of pictures from our wedding, etc and she kept saying, "These are gorgeous! Oh my gosh, these are GORGEOUS!" She gave them back to me and said that the pictures were too beautiful for an immigration file and they didnt belong. We laughed. The interview lasted a total of 17 minutes. 17 minutes.. seriously? She hadn't him a document and said, You're green card will take 7-10 business days. WHAT???!?!?! That fast!!!!!

She was the nicest, most sweet woman ever. We were so lucky we had her for the interview. She loved us and we were grateful. As we were leaving she said, "Man! This is the easiest thing I have done all day!" haha

6 days later John got his green card. WAAAAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! We can travel now!! Looks like we are probably going to Canada and Turkey this summer!

Can't Wait!!!!!!

PS If you ever need advice about Green Card stuff, come to us. Not a Lawyer.

7 comments:

  1. This is really interesting! Glad to hear it worked out so well for you! My mother-in-law is from the Mexican colonies and I've hear lots of crazy stories from her about applying and reapplying for her green card and stuff. Just recently they were giving her a hard time about their marriage license (even though it was an original from the state they got married in) and they made her write to the state to verify it was real, or something dumb like that. From what I understand it's probably more difficult to work with the Mexican government than the Canadian government though. She applied for citizenship when Ryan was really little, but then her mom got sick so she went back to Mexico for a while and didn't finish up. Anyway, we always tease her about getting deported - which is probably only funny now that she's been here 30 years and without a problem. Also, kind of random, my husband's grandma is from Canada!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily! That's crazy! I am sooo glad it isnt as bad here. I mean, we thought we had it bad but that all puts it into perspective. Haha! And where in Canada is his grandma from?

      Delete
  2. I am so glad it worked out for you guys, & that you don't have to leave!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, I am like seriously tearing up reading this! Congratulations! I am so so so happy for you! This is the best story ever. So happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaitie! I am soo grateful for you! I love this comment. It makes me feel so great that you care. :) I am sorry to hear about your car. That is awful. I feel similar to mine... It is my first car love. :) Hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, Steph, that is such a crazy story, but I'm so glad you told it. Wow. Haha. I was thoroughly engaged the whole way through. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete