Monday, June 18, 2012

Istanbul... for 3 days...

After our luxurious plane ride, we had to stand in this horrendously long line to get a visa. I guess in order to come into the country of Turkey, you have to have a visa? I wasn't clear on the details, other than I knew that John and I needed to get one in order to be legal in Turkey. haha. Luckily the line moved fairly quickly. It wasn't as bad as waiting for the indiana jones ride at disneyland,  but it was still long and frustrating! The counter that we had to reach was below the "Visa" sign... 


I don't remember if I had mentioned how the first night that we got here, we immediately got ready and went out! Pelin, Ayse's dear friend and the woman we were staying with in Istanbul, wanted to show us Istanbul at night. She took us to this restaurant that sat right on the edge of the Marmara sea. This is the sea that separates the asian continent and the european continent (even though they are both still turkey) from my understanding. So basically, we could see across the way to the other mass of land. There were boats in the middle and lots and lots of light and music. It was very... romantic. That's a great word for it. We sat outside in candle light while Frank Sinatra played in the background. I know, weird right? haha. Anyway, we just sat and relaxed and enjoyed the ambiance and the company. It was very picturesque and totally a fun surprise to be there and see such beauty. I tried to catch photos of it without looking too much like a tourist. I was unable to be successful in capturing a "great" photo of it.

The thing is, we haven't been doing "touristy" stuff yet. The things that we have been doing are what turkish people do normally. So catching photos hasn't been quite as casual as I would like it to be. I did however, catch this great one of a cool building. It actually looks like it could be from disneyland, except its real. It was sooo beautiful.


We walked along the coast of the sea, and it seemed that everyone was out! It is so hot and humid here during the day that everyone comes out at night and eats dinner around 9 or 10 pm. We even walked past a park at 10:45 pm and the entire park was full of parents and their kids playing on it! It was a sight to be seen!



We just walked and walked, and then we reached this almost Bazaar like place where there were cobble stone streets that were narrow with lights and people and people selling stuff. Handmade jewelry, and good food. The city of Istanbul puts on free concerts often. So we walked over to a free concert in this area and it was awesome! There were so many people! I regret not getting a photo of that!

We decided to sit at a nearby restaurant called "The House" and get a bit of tea. I was surprised by how much tea they drink, all the time. And the majority of it is fresh and herbal. The one we had that particular evening is called Apple tea. and this is what it looks like when they bring it out to you.



It includes fresh cut apples, a few slices of oranges and lemons, and a little white jar of honey. Also a tea pot of fresh seeping tea. What you do with it is you combine the ingredients and it makes for some delicious sweet apple tea. So we just sat there and enjoyed the live concert and drank tea... Oh to be a European.


I came home that evening to discover this rad toilet. Square??!! Is it too weird that I was excited by a square toilet? haha... 


While we have been in Istanbul for 3 days we have being just literally shopping and eating... and shopping and eating... and shopping an drinking tea and shopping and eating. It has been fun! We have been introduced to the fashion of Istanbul! What I didn't know was that Turkey is a pretty fashionable place, mainly Istanbul. They have awesome stores here and it has been fun to integrate with the people.

Something that I have been trying to do is to learn some key words with the language. It has been SO difficult for me to do. Things are pronounced in certain ways and my tongue just cant do some of the ways that their words require. Like it was not made to say some of the words. haha But the people here are kind. They are incredibly patient with me. They will even try to speak english to me. Also, with some of the languages I have picked up like spanish, some of the words connect to english words. Not in Turkish. Nothing sounds english except for maybe when they say salad... makes it a little difficult for me to learn it.

What has been neat though is seeing John pick it up. He hasn't been here for 6 years and he used to come at least once a year with his mom. I usually have no idea what is going on in conversations but it is cool to watch John laugh at what is being said, or smile or nod...He may not speak it super well, but its cool to see him picking up and remembering it and understanding it.




2 comments:

  1. I love how excited you are by everything! I would be the same way. Who cares if you look like a tourist you won't see any of these people again right?! ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally Tiffany! But its hard because some people here, women especially, it is against their religion to be photographed! So I get worried that Ill get yelled at... but you know, I will never see them again... so does it matter?? haha Thanks for the confidence boost!

      Delete