Saturday, June 16, 2012

Moral of the story is.....

WE ARE HERE!!! IN TURKEY!!!!! AND ITS AMAZING!!!!

Alright. Now that I got that out... let us begin. I have a lot to tell you because some great things have been happening. 

I'll start you off with when we were checking our luggage and ourselves into our flight with Turkish Airlines. We had a bajillion bags to bring with us. Alright, okay... only 6 large bags and 3 carry ons, but still... it felt like a lot because they were full and heavy and we had only 3 of us lugging them around the airport. So we get there and this kind, turkish man behind the counter began helping us, asking for our passports, putting those flight stickers on our bags and making small chit chat. Ayse (John's mom for those of you who don't know by now) asked him if he was turkish and he was. They began speaking turkish to each other and I realized at that point that there was going to be a lot of this feeling of "I have no clue what is going on" since I don't know the language. I have to just smile and nod most of the time, which isn't sooooo bad. Anyway, they spoke back and forth and afterward, Ayse mentioned that he had asked why so many bags and she told him it was because 5 of them were for her orphan children. (see how big the bags were below) They were full of toys and clothes and things to bring happiness to a couple of orphan kids that she loves here in turkey. And that was that. We left him and begun our trek through Toronto airport to our boarding gate. We got there and it was HORRIBLY packed. Like, a line for a mile. It was insane but fascinating to watch all who was going to Turkey and noticing who was turkish and who wasn't. When we finally got on the plane and were directed to our seats, to our surprise, the man who checked us in was soo touched by Ayse's love for her orphans that he upgraded our seats to Comfort Class! I didn't even know something like that existed, but to my amazement it does!

I was embarrassingly excited about this. John played it way cooler than I did. And I had to be careful because I was taking so many photos that people were looking at me and totally judging. But wouldn't you take pictures if you were served a menu on the plane? Or if you could lean your chair so far back that you could actually get a good nights rest on a flight? Or if your chair could become like an recliner where it lifts your feet up? or where you had your own personal TV with different channels and an assortment of like 150 movies to choose from?? AND they give you slippers, pillow, blankets, and a little package for refreshing your breath, hair, skin, and feet??... Wouldn't you want to remember this moment?! Do you judge me for taking photos? Don't... I know you would have done it too. ;)

(The pictures are a little out of the order that I wanted them in and most of the photos were taken with my iphone (it didn't have such an obvious flash) so they are a tiny bit blurry)

Ayse getting the luggage ready..

See these bags!!! SOOO many! Ayse only really let us take a carry on with our stuff so she could take the orphans things. It was hard narrowing down what to take, but I am glad she is so willing to give to these orphans.

John, playing it way cooler than me on the plane.  Look at the space!!! And the wide seats!


Every meal came with these little salt and pepper shakers. Cute right? And smart...

My own personal TV. I decided to watch "New Year's Eve" (I think thats what it's called)


The slot where my side table came out of...

This was seriously the coolest thing from this experience, a reclining chair...

Dinner.... A little blurry, but you get the idea (yes that is 2 salads, salmon, and a pasta dish with warm bread)

Again, the recliner. John was such a good model.


This was our breakfast menu... They served us Dinner immediately when we got on the plane and then 2 hours before we landed they served us breakfast! Please look at the detail of the meal on this menu.


Dessert after dinner. On the right is an orange creme brulee of sorts. Did I mention they had a chef on the plane?


Dinner menu in the middle. Still so much detail. Look closely. English is on the right side of the middle. (Whitney, I thought you might enjoy this)


Breakfast. An Omelette. Fruits, bread, cheese, cucumber and tomato. (very common turkish breakfast)


I feel like she gives a little perspective by how much space we really had.. 



The flight was a spectacular experience. I didn't know it was possible to enjoy a 10 hour plane flight. I usually feel wiped, and sick and usually when I step off the plane I feel like I need to kiss the ground because "I have MADE IT! I survived!!!" But with this experience, I felt like I could have flown for another 10 hours... weird, right?

So, the moral of the story is... Donate to orphans when you travel some where far and it may get you bumped up to Comfort class where you can be comfortable. They weren't joking people.

4 comments:

  1. That is sooooo awesome, Steph!! I'm totally stoked for you guys. I have LOVED reading your blog and staying "caught up" with you guys. Tell John and Ayse we say "hello"! We miss you and hope you have an amazing experience there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, let me just say that it is sooo cool to be reading Ayse's book and be following your blog and pictures as you actually go to Turkey!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow love the post (yes I am creepin' your blog these days)! I feel like i was right there with you guys on the plane. have an awesome time and be safe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren! Im totally cool with you creepin my blog! I didn't realize you had one or else I would have been creepin yours too! haha Im glad you commented! I think we should be friends :)

      Delete